Eibsee lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in the Bavaria Region. The lake is located near the Eibsee Seilbahn (cable car) which connects Eibsee to the Zugspitze mountain. The sight of turquoise blue-greenish water and the mountain Zugspitze towering over the lake is splendid. You can combine a visit to Eibsee and Zugspitze if you are short on time. If you are planning a visit to Eibsee Lake then keep on reading this post to know about things to do, and what are the Instagrammable spots near the lake.
THINGS TO DO IN EIBSEE
- Walking Trail – The walking trail might take between 2 to 3 hours to complete. We would highly recommend starting the trail anti-clockwise instead of clockwise. The trail starts from the parking area, behind the Eibsee hotel. Once you get down from the bus take a right and walk till you reach the parking area, the walking trail leads you towards the Eibsee bridge.
- Kayaking, Swimming, Boating & SUP – You can rent a boat and explore and enjoy on your own or opt for a Motorboat with a Captain with other tourists. You can also rent a SUP if you are feeling adventurous.
- Picnic – Eibsee lake is a perfect picnic spot. There are so many beautiful nooks and places to enjoy a lovely day feeding swans/ducks, reading books, and spending time with your loved ones.
- Biking – The biking trail is quite famous among bikers and fitness enthusiasts. You can rent bikes and explore too.
- Celebration – We saw so many locals celebrating birthdays and special occasions. So if you have a car or stay nearby, you can definitely plan or surprise your loved ones with a perfect setting beside the lake admiring the beautiful blue-green bay.
- Zugspitze – Take the cable car to the highest peak in Germany. The views from the top are breathtaking. Check out our blogpost on Zugspitze.
- Haselgehr Waterfall – Just a 5-minute drive from Eibsee lake is a beautiful waterfall to visit if you have a car.
- Explore Grainau – Don’t forget to explore one of the prettiest Bavarian towns.
- Photography – If you love photography, this lake offers multiple photo ops spots to capture and hone your landscape photography skills in every season possible.
Instagrammable Spots in Eibsee Lake, Germany
- The famous Instagram Rock – The famous rock that you might have seen multiple times on Instagram is not that easy to locate. You have to leave the official trail and venture out inside the forest after you cross Steinringpriel lake. Else you can just keep walking beside the Eibsee lake from F2 or F3. It is located in a secluded bay behind the Braxeninsel. (Exact Coordinate – 47°27’36.0″N 10°58’35.2″E )
- Swinging Rope – Once you reach the bridge, there is a trail between the trees along the Untersee. The trail will lead you towards the Swinging Rope. Since this is not an official trail, do it at your own risk and make sure you are wearing proper shoes and take extra precautions. Don’t venture if the weather is not that great.
- Steinringpriel Lake – A small lake with beautiful reflections.
- Numerous spots to take pictures – There are so many places to take stunning pics with Zugspitze in the background. There are numerous small trails between the trees that can lead you to some amazing places to capture pictures.
View this post on Instagram
- Bridge Next to Untersee – Eibsee-Brücke
- View of the island – Schönbichl ( 47°27’34.3″N 10°58’28.4″E )
- View of the island – Sasseninsel
SHOP THE LOOK
HOTELS TO STAY NEARBY –
GETTING THERE BY TRAIN & BUS + PARKING
Eibsee is in Grainau and can easily be reached by car or train.
For Parking —
- You can park the car at Eibsee Hotel Parking Lot
- At Zugspitze Cable car Parking Lot
- Free parking space called “Wanderparkplatz”/Eibseestraße – But be prepared to walk one kilometer to reach the lake. ( Coordinates for Google Maps: 47.460122, 10.999938)
MUNICH TO EIBSEE LAKE BY TRAIN
By public transportation – From Munich airport: buy the Bayern Ticket and take the S-Bahn (S1 or S8) to Munich and get off at Munich central station (Hauptbahnhof). From Munich Central Station take the train to Grainau. From Grainau station, you can board the EIBSEE bus ( blue color )
Bus fare from Garmisch is around 4.90 Euros per person. So, it’s better to board the bus from Grainau if you want to save some money.
Don’t forget your water shoes and swimwear if you are visiting during Summer.
No Time To Read?
PIN ME TO REFER
Check out our youtube video
Please let us know in the comment box below if you found the Eibsee Lake, things to do, and Instagrammable spots useful.
Subscribe to travel stories, ideas, and contests:
If you do find our article useful in planning your trip, don’t forget to send a note/picture of your trip to us ( Email: firstname.lastname@example.org) for our Testimonial section.